A recent survey revealed just how much pressure chief marketing officers are facing. Of those surveyed, 89% said they were facing intense scrutiny, with the most pressure being placed on showing returns on investments. “Increasingly, it is important for marketers to be able to justify their expenses,” said Peter Sargent, vp, Jupiter Research. “We need to get smarter as a community as we assess just how effective our brand messaging is.” To cope with the mounting pressure, CMOs are:
- Seeking to increase yield/accountability by evaluating spending (64%)
- Improving customer communications with existing resources (47.3%)
- Focusing on customized communication technologies (40.9%)
- Investing in Internet/mobile channels (38.7%)
- Utilizing CRM and sales automation applications (31.5%)
To read other plans CMOs have for 2009, click here.