Marketing without Words – Images Drive More Social Interaction
Social media is maturing as a marketing format. In this maturation process, each social site is attracting unique audiences that seek specific types of information and experiences. As these sites refine their purpose, they are also modifying their policies to broaden their appeal to advertisers. This is especially true with respect to image-based marketing campaigns.
One social site, Pinterest, is highly dependent on images. Curalate Insights recently studied the details of images that are repinned more than others on the popular site. Marketers who want their images to be repinned should include:
- Multiple dominant colors. These kinds of images are repinned 3.25 times more than other images
- Medium saturation. Compared to fully saturated pictures, these images have 4 times higher repin rates.
- Red. Other popular colors include orange and brown. These images have twice the repin rates of blue images.
Researchers also noticed that users don’t repin images with more than 30% white space as often as they repin images that make full use of their space. In addition, brands can increase the rate of repining when they leave consumer faces out of their images.
Pinterest is also exploring how to find the right balance between marketer and user demands. For now, the site has decided to allow nude images. On the other hand, Facebook is currently reviewing its “online moderation procedures.” Users have complained about offensive content and those complaints are making advertisers nervous. Mainstream marketers don’t want their messages appearing on the same page with inappropriate material.
Marketer use of images in campaign materials and their concern about other images on social sites is likely to be an ongoing conversation as all parties seek to protect their interests.
To learn more about Social Networkers, check out the Audience Interests & Intent Report available at the Research Store on ad-ology.com.[Sources: Brendan. The Perfect Pinterest Pin. Blog.curalate.com. 4 Jun. 2013. Web. 10 Jun. 2013; Dembosky, April et al. Pinterest Embraces Nudes as Other Tighten. Financial Times. 29 May 2013. Web. 10 Jun. 2013]
Latest posts by Kathy Crosett (see all)
- MAGNA: Digital Advertising in U.S. to Reach $106BN in 2018 - June 21, 2018
- Are Your Employees Glued to Their Phones During Meetings? - June 20, 2018
- Is Your Praising Style Helping or Hurting Your Team Members? - June 19, 2018
- Dentsu Aegis: 2018 Ad Market Revised Up - June 18, 2018
- Do You Know Who’s Buying SEO Services This Year? - June 15, 2018