Mobile and Social Promotions for Pet Owners on the Rise
The love affair between Americans and their pets has never been stronger. About 36.5% of U.S. households own a dog and 30.4% share their homes with a cat. Mintel research shows that at least 16% of pet owners believe that new technologies, especially social media, can improve their bond with their cats and dogs. This attitude signals good news for marketers.
Pet owners say the following about mobile and social promotions designed to highlight pet-care products and services:
- I receive online or email promotions for these products 28%
- I would like to receive pet-related discounts that I can redeem via my mobile device 17%
- I currently use social media to learn about these products 12%
Not surprisingly, the Millennial generation leads with way on the technology front with 17% of these pet owners using apps designed to help them with pet care. For all pet owners, that number stands at 9%.
The broad acceptance of technology as a tool to aid in pet care is driving pet owners to share their experiences via social media. Gabi Lieberman, social media analyst at Mintel, contends that social media is replacing the traditional pet store as the place to learn about products and services. Brands are getting engaged in this media format and are ‘using gimmicks’ like endorsements and awards to attract attention. Lieberman also notes that because of the emotional attachment owners feel for their pets, brands can tap into ‘something very personal’. Connecting with that strong emotion is a great way to increase revenue.
To learn more about pet owners, check out the AudienceSCAN report available on the Research Store at ad-ology.com.
Latest posts by Kathy Crosett (see all)
- Over 90% of Employers Use Short-Term Incentive Plans - February 19, 2019
- Westwood One Study: Podcast Ads Shine in Driving Call-to-Action Metrics - February 18, 2019
- High-Growth Professional Services Firms Spend More on Marketing - February 15, 2019
- 83% of Email Marketers to Spend More in 2019 - February 14, 2019
- How To Change Bad Habits and Reach Your Leadership Goals - February 13, 2019