If your sporting goods retailers are looking for data on which pieces of equipment to promote to consumers, check out the recent press release from the Sporting Goods Manufacturers Association. Findings indicate the following:
- 1/3rd of US consumers exercise at least every three days and 1/10th exercise on occasion.
- General fitness is the type of exercise most frequently engaged in and consumers primarily use treadmills, elliptical and stationary bicycles for this purpose.
- Users of home gym equipment are typically over age 35.
- Wholesale revenue for fitness equipment businesses was $4.7 billion in 2007 and the fastest growing category was elliptical machines.
- Treadmills and stationary bikes are particularly popular with consumers who prefer to work out at home.
Is it time for you to review marketing plans with your fitness equipment retailers?[Source: Sporting Goods Manufacturers Association release, August 2008]