12% of Shoppers Buy from Social Media Ads
Blueshift Research Trends Tracker asked respondents about their purchases of products advertised on social media sites, and found 12.4%, mostly millennials, purchase items through those ads. "Such purchases were made primarily through Facebook (8.1%), followed by Pinterest (1.9%). The daily 3 billion video views via Facebook could push the market further."
"Pinterest also is upping its number of ads, with a more aggressive rollout of 'paid-for pins' and promoted pins, which are expected to be more valuable than other social media ads," Blueshift reports. "The site also is releasing more user data to allow better targeting for advertisers.
Twitter is taking a different approach at gaining ad dollars by acquiring Niche, which connects brands with growing social media stars."
Blueshift asked: Have you bought any products through a social media ad?
- 8.1% have bought a product through an ad on Facebook, and 1.9% have bought a product through a Pinterest ad.
- 1.3% purchased through Instagram.
- Younger respondents are the most likely to buy a product through a social media ad.
- 15.4% were aged 18–29.
- 13.8% were aged 30–44.
- Respondents with household incomes of more than $150,000 and between $25,000 to $49,999 are the most likely to buy a product through a social media ad.
- 13.9% of households with incomes between $100,000 and $149,999 bought products through social media.
AudienceSCAN finds that 32% of Americans are social shoppers:
- 18.6% of U.S. adults said "to get deals and discounts" when asked: "How do you use social networks (like Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn and others)?"
- 13.6% of U.S. adults said "to learn about new products" when asked: "How do you use social networks (like Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn and others)?"
They tend to have young children ÛÒ 21% have kids younger than 5. Also, 27% of this crowd lives in rural areas or small towns. Since the majority of social shoppers are women, focusing on activities they enjoy would be a good place to start with social media ads. This audience bakes (55%), decorates (38%), crafts and/or scrap-books (37%) and likes fashion (33%). Social shoppers are 112% more likely than average shoppers to purchase daily deals and 83% more likely to buy products at or from a direct-selling party, like Mary Kay or Pampered Chef.
AudienceSCAN data is available as part of a subscription to AdMall for Agencies. Media companies can access AudienceSCAN data through the Audience Intelligence Reports inåÊAdMall.
Latest posts by Courtney Huckabay (see all)
- Sell Smarter 04: Smarter Small Talk — April 16, 2018
- Foodservice Delivery in U.S. Posts Double-Digit Gains — April 16, 2018
- The Arts Fight for Out-of-Home Entertainment Spending — April 13, 2018
- Drunk Shopping? What People Buy After They Leave the Bar — April 12, 2018
- Use of Ride Share Services Grew 30% in Past Year — April 11, 2018