Almost 1/3 of consumers do not have a pay-TV service, according to Blueshift Research Trends Tracker. After 5 months of specifically targeting cable subscriptions and cable cutting, Blueshift broadened its survey question to account for all pay-TV services. Data now shows 30.6% of respondents do not have pay-TV services, and roughly 1% of those canceled their service in the past month.
Data now shows 30.6% of respondents do not have pay-TV services, and roughly 1% of those canceled their service in the past month.
"Studies by Nielsen and GfK both point to a similar conclusion," Blueshift reports. "Nielsen found that consumersÛª viewing hours are increasing for Internet streaming and are decreasing for tradition TV, while GfK found that consumers with Roku boxes or similar devices, roughly 20%, are cutting back on or eliminating pay-TV services.
Nielsen does not count mobile device streaming, and recently added Netflix viewing. Two initiatives by Google and Facebook could add to consumers switching to streaming TV."
Key findings from Blueshift:
- 30.6% do not have a pay-TV service in their homes.
- 0.9% canceled their pay-TV subscription in the past month.
- Respondents ages 18–29 (38.7%) are the most likely to never have a pay-TV service.
- Those ages 44–60 (40.3%) are the most likely to have a pay-TV service with add-on services, followed by those 61 and older.
- Those 18–29 years old (15.2%) were the most likely to have canceled their pay-TV subscription more than a month ago.
- 19.36% have NEVER had pay-TV.
- 10.4% canceled their pay-TV service more than a month ago.
AudienceSCAN research finds that 18% of Americans are cord cutters. 10.4% of adults get most of their TV programming from the Internet (including iTunes, Hulu and Netflix). Another 7.6% get theirs over the air (using an antenna).
Interestingly, 60.5% of cord cutters are women. 47% are single and divorced. 21% have children younger than 5 living with them. And there are still rural areas where cable lines don't reach: 28% of this audience live in the country and/or small towns.
This audience enjoys reading fiction when they're not streaming TV shows ÛÒ 53.5% love novels. You can find them hiking and camping as well (30%), or doing aerobics/pilates/yoga (29.7%).
Reach these viewers with commercials on TV: 74% saw a spot and took action. Or focus on newspaper advertising (print, online, mobile or tablet), because 59% took action after noticing an ad there.
AudienceSCAN data is available as part of a subscription to AdMall for Agencies. Media companies can access AudienceSCAN data through the Audience Intelligence Reports inåÊAdMall.