8 Flavor Trends Foodies Fight For
McCormick & Company released its McCormick Flavor Forecastå¨ Reveals Eight Flavor Trends For 2015, highlighting 8 trends that will shape the future of flavor. Now in its 15th year, the report drives flavor innovation and exploration throughout the food industry and in kitchens everywhere. Reflecting the rapidly increasing demand for bolder, more intense flavor experiences, the McCormick Flavor Forecast 2015 pinpoints adventurous global tastes on the rise.
Reflecting the rapidly increasing demand for bolder, more intense flavor experiences, the McCormick Flavor Forecast 2015 pinpoints adventurous global tastes on the rise, like Japanese 7 Spice (Shichimi Togarashi), as well as an appreciation for the robust flavors developed in slow-simmered dishes from around the world. The report also showcases new ways to elevate pantry essentials to starring roles, like smoking spices and herbs or pairing sours with coarse salt.
During the past 15 years, the Flavor Forecast has predicted trends that have changed the way people eat at restaurants and cook in their home kitchens.
"Many early trending flavors in past reports have become favorites of today. Take chipotle chile, for instance," said McCormick Executive Chef, Kevan Vetter. "When we first identified this chile pepper as a flavor to watch in 2003, many people couldn't pronounce it. Today, it's a household name. Pumpkin pie spice, sea salt, coconut water and cocktail-inspired flavors have seen similar success, taking over restaurant menus and grocery store shelves. The flavor trends highlighted within our 15th annual Forecast promise to do the same."
8 Flavor Trends to Watch
Identified by a global team of McCormick chefs and flavor experts, these trends offer a taste of 2015 and beyond:
- Global Blends On the Move ÛÒ Japanese 7 Spice (Shichimi Togarashi) offers a new kind of spicy heat, while Shawarma Spice Blend lends warm, spiced flavor to grilled meats and more.
- Middle Eastern Mezze ÛÒ These distinctive dips and spreads, packed with zesty herbs and seasonings, offer an approachable and delicious introduction to a vibrant global cuisine.
- Sour + Salt ÛÒ Combining coarse salt with surprising sours like pickled ginger, sour cherry, dried mango and lemon zest results in a lively finishing flavor that lends brightness and texture to dishes.
- Smoked Spices ÛÒ Smoking spices and herbs deepens their flavor and aroma, adding richness to meals and drinks.
- Umami Veggies ÛÒ For a fresh way to savor the tempting "fifth taste," look no further than naturally umami-rich veggies like mushrooms, tomatoes, sweet potatoes and nori.
- Liquid Revolution ÛÒ Fresh purees and juices blend with bold spices and herbs to intensify sauces, pasta, dressings and more — providing a fun, delicious way to enjoy an extra serving of fruits and veggies.
- Flavor Worth the Wait ÛÒ Lift the lid to discover the rich flavors from recipes around the world that meld aromatic spices and comforting ingredients into mouthwatering slow-cooked meals.
- Cookies Reimagined ÛÒ Classic spiced cookie flavors take new form in decadent, imaginative desserts that redefine "milk and cookies."
AudienceSCAN identifies the audience of foodies as those who enjoy cooking/baking and love to dine out at restaurants frequently. This group of food-lovers is likely to eat up these 8 flavor trends. Especially when 50.8% of Americans enjoy cooking and 37.1% enjoy baking cakes, pies, breads or desserts. Keep in mind that 2.6% of consumers eat at a restaurant or order take out more than 5 times per week!
These foodies are men (42%) and women (58%) who are watching TV. 46% of foodies took action after seeing a commercial on TV in the past month. They're checking their inboxes too. 56% took action upon opening an ad or newsletter emailed to them in the past year. Ads on blogs could have potential as well: 23% started an online search after seeing an ad on a blog.
AudienceSCAN data is available as part of a subscription to AdMall for Agencies. Media companies can access AudienceSCAN data through the Audience Intelligence Reports inåÊAdMall.