CPG Branded Websites Driving Sales
Consumer Packaged Goods (CPG) marketers were late to the online party. But they seem to be making up for lost time as they improve their website content. However, if CPG marketers intend to see their online efforts translate to higher sales, they need to fine-tune their content and update it regularly.
Consumers who visit CPG marketer websites that present engaging and fresh content will go on to buy more of the branded products when they shop. That’s the top level finding of the ‘Are Your CPG Brands Maximizing the Return on Your Digital Investment?’ study jointly published by Accenture, comScore, Inc., and dunnhumbyUSA. CPG marketers should be cheered by the study’s statistics about website visitors. When compared to non-visitors, the in-store performance increases were measured as follows:
- Monthly brand dollars +37%
- Monthly category dollars +53%
- Brand buying occasions in 6 month period +41%
But what constitutes engaging content? To begin with, visitors must have a reason to stay on the site for a while. Three characteristics prove crucial to keeping visitors on the page:
- Brand value messaging: Give consumers a reason to purchase this brand
- Fresh content: Upload new information on a weekly basis. This information should include user-generated reviews, recipes, or ‘pulse surveys’, etc.
- Engagement: Potential shoppers will be looking for promotions, games, product demonstrations or apps to download.
John LaRocca, Vice President, Strategic Partnerships at dunnhumbyUSA, noted, “Since website visitors have higher affinity to the brand and the overall product category, there is an opportunity for brand marketers to drive loyalty through personalizing the website experience, catering to the preferences of their best customers.”[Source: Accenture, comScore and dunnhumbyUSA. CPG Brand Website Usage. Comscore.com. 30 Jan. 2012. Web. 16 Feb. 2012]