Blueshift Research Trends Tracker finds that environmental impact is a key factor in consumersÛª purchasing decisions. "Respondents are interested in a productÛªs environmental impact, and stores like Whole Foods have benefitted from this. Other analysis has shown that consumers are paying more attention to ethical and environmental issues, and are willing to spend roughly 71å¢ more for ethically sourced and environmentally friendly food, up 10å¢ from 2 years before."
Blueshift asked: How likely are you to buy a product that is better for the environment over another product that is slightly cheaper?
- 36% are very or extremely likely to buy a product that is better for the environment over a slightly cheaper product.
- Respondents older than 60 were the most likely to buy a product that is better for the environment over a slightly cheaper product, followed by those 30 to 44 years old.
- Those with household incomes below $24,999 and above $150,000 were the most likely to buy a product that is better for the environment over a slightly cheaper product.
- 33% were moderately likely to buy an ethical product over a cheaper one
- 34% of those aged 18–29 were very or extremely likely to buy environment-friendly items rather than less expensive items
Environmental cause supporters are part of the ethically sourced product trend. So be on the lookout for the 11% of consumers who regularly support environmental causes/charities with their time or money. 29% of environmental cause supporters fall into the 25–34 age bracket.
38% of this audience is divorced/single. 37% are urban dwellers. They enjoy horseback riding (18%). This group is 92% more likely than average to visit a winery or vineyard. They're going to the movies ÛÒ 26% saw an ad at the theater and took action within 30 days. Also, you can reach them in the newspaper: 74% saw an ad there and took action in the past year. Try marketing in magazines as well! 27% of environmental cause supporters started online searches after seeing magazine advertising.
AudienceSCAN data is available as part of a subscription to AdMall for Agencies. Media companies can access AudienceSCAN data through the Audience Intelligence Reports inåÊAdMall.