With the summer travel season just around the corner, more Americans are planning to spend time traveling with their family. According to a recent TripAdvisor survey, 92% of respondents plan to take a family vacation this year, up from 85% who did so in 2013. Of those taking family trips, 55% will travel with their spouse and children, and 20% will travel with extended family.
When asked the types of accommodations they plan to stay at for their family trips, the majority of U.S. respondents (71%) plan to stay at a hotel, 41% will enjoy the comforts of a vacation rental, and 20% will stay at the home of family or friends.
Top 10 Travelers' Choice Hotels for Families in the U.S.:
- Floridays Resort Orlando, Orlando, Florida
- Woodloch Pines Resort, Hawley, Pennsylvania
- Disney's Wilderness Lodge, Orlando, Florida
- Candy Cane Inn, Anaheim, California
- Red Jacket Mountain View Resort, North Conway, New Hampshire
- Best Western Premier Saratoga Resort Villas, Kissimmee, Florida
- Rocking Horse Ranch Resort, Highland, New York
- West Inn & Suites Carlsbad, Carlsbad, California
- Howard Johnson Anaheim Hotel and Water Playground, Anaheim, California
- Disney's Animal Kingdom Lodge, Orlando, Florida
Freebies and location top the amenities wish list for family travelers at hotels. The top five are:
- Complimentary breakfast
- Close proximity to local attractions
- Free Wi-Fi
- Swimming pool
- Room service
SUMMER BEACH TRIPS ARE THE FAVORITE FOR FAMILIES
The most popular season for family trips is summer as 78% of respondents plan to travel between June and August, with July being the most popular month at 30%. Sixty-six percent of family travelers will soak up the sun at the beach / ocean, while 46% will visit the city and 33% will make their way to a national park.
Ad-ology Research has discovered 27.6% of domestic travelers have recently visited a winery or vineyard and 19.5% intend to purchase a health club membership (new or existing) in the next year. These visit and purchase intent rates are both higher than average and represent this audience's enjoyment of leisure activities as well as their health & wellness goals.
Television advertising, followed by newspaper ads, (print, online mobile or tablet) and Internet banner ads have the most influence on this audience and may be a good way for marketers to connect with domestic travelers.
AudienceSCAN data is available as part of a subscription to Ad-ology PRO. Media companies can access AudienceSCAN data through the Audience Intelligence Reports in AdMall.