While today's teens might not be able to afford the cost of owning their mobile phones, these devices have become indispensable for the teen demographic with a penetration rate of 80% and an annual market value approaching $100 billion. Understanding exactly how and why teens use mobile phones can help your clients determine the best way to position their products for higher sales. Here are the results of a result study conducted by Harris Interactive and CTIA — The Wireless Association.
- 8 in 10 teens appreciate the security of the device which allows them to reach out when they need assistance
- About ½ of teens believe their social lives would be seriously compromised without the ability to text on mobile phones
- Approximately 1/3 of teens play games on their mobile phones
- Nearly 15% of teens use a smart mobile phone
The market for smart phones may be poised for growth in the teen market. According to teens the ideal mobile device of the future will possess the following functionality:
- Phone services for voice and text
- Music and video player
- Global positioning services
- Laptop computer capability
Is it time to contact your clients in this industry and suggest a campaign that specifically targets teens?