More Marketers to Use SSI Registration to Improve Retention Rates

by | 2 minute read

Earlier this week, I wrote about cart abandonment and the issues online retailers face when shoppers leave before clicking the buy button. But online retailers have another problem that turns off shoppers. It’s called website registration. Some retailers are now taking steps to improve visitor retention. One of the steps includes using social sign-in links.

Consumers have all kinds of reactions when they encounter the registration screen:

  • Complete the registration 25%
  • Leave and do not return 54%
  • Go to a different site, if possible 17%
  • Leave/avoid the site 4%

Interestingly, 24% say they always give correction information when prompted to register. The other 76% of consumers give out false or incorrect information from time to time. Part of the problem, especially for returning visitors, is not remembering log-in information. And nearly half (45%) of surveyed consumers will leave a website instead of resetting the password and answering security questions.  With so many passwords and online identities to keep track of, consumers are wondering if there isn’t a better way. Marketers are already exploring their options and many are turning to social sign-in (SSI).

A study published by Janrain shows that a significant majority (66%) of consumers are interested in (SSI). This approach  allows people to sign into a site using an online identity they’ve already created. In some cases, this would be an identity linked to a social media site like Facebook or Twitter.  In other cases, it would be an email account they’ve already established with Google or Yahoo.

Online operators may be interested to know that consumers plan to visit sites that automatically recognize them:

  • Those more likely to return to sites with automatic recognition features: 55%
  • Those more likely to buy at sites with automatic recognition features: 48%

Consumers also believe that online sites which offer SSI are “more up-to-date, innovative and leave a positive impression.”  Based on this study, it appears that online marketers can promote themselves as being more user-friendly by using SSI.  In addition, they are likely to capture more accurate consumer data which will increase the accuracy of their promotional efforts, especially with respect to email.

[Source: Consumer Perceptions of Online Registration and Social Sign-In. Janrain​.com. February 2011. Web. 24 Feb. 2011]
Kathy Crosett
Kathy is the Vice President of Research for SalesFuel. She holds a Masters in Business Administration from the University of Vermont and oversees a staff of researchers, writers and content providers for SalesFuel. Previously, she was co-owner of several small businesses in the health care services sector.