Anyone who tried to hire a home maintenance or improvement contractor during the recent housing boom may have had a long wait. These days, contractors may find themselves facing a long wait for work as home remodeling and improvement expenditures are expected to decline through 2008.
What are the key factors that influence home owners when it comes to hiring a contractor? A recent survey provides a peek into the consumer mindset.
Here’s what keeps consumers from hiring a contractor:
- Cost of the job 41%
- Contractor makes a mess in the home 27%
- Contractor breaks something while repair something else 30%
Key criteria for selecting a contractor:
- Project done on time and on budget 67%
- Recommendation from a neighbor or friend 70%
- Contractor appears trustworthy 16%
- Price 10%
Is it time for your contractor clients to undertake a direct mail campaign that rewards existing clients for making referrals?
"No Recovery in Remodeling Activity Expected Through 2008," Joint Center on Housing Studies, Harvard University.