New Social Mobile Platforms Competing for Ad Money
Just when you think you’ve figured out the social media world for your clients, everything changes. Facebook still rules in terms of social ad dollars but marketers are hearing the buzz about new social mobile platforms that are attracting the attention of some valuable demographic groups, especially younger consumers. Garett Sloane recently compiled a list of the new mobile platforms for Adweek and looked into whether marketers should be shifting some of their budgets away from the older players like Facebook.
Forrester Research is also tracking new developments in the social media world and cautions that “these new networks are primarily peer-to-peer communication platforms where consumers expect relevant and entertaining content—not ads.” Hmmm. That sounds quite a lot like the concerns analysts voiced when Facebook first explored funding its operations with ad money a few years ago.
Sloane assigns relatively high brand-friendliness scores to the following new players on the social scene:
- Snapchat has become a favorite destination for younger consumers who don’t want their photos or other content to last more than a few seconds. The platform is definitely brand-friendly but the challenge for marketers will be to develop messages or connections with users that will make a big impact in a short period of time.
- Tango is a competitor in the voice calling, text messaging and video sharing market. With 100 million users and $87 million in venture money, the service also appeals to users with its game offerings.
- Kik, Line, WeChat – The over-the-top messenger services originated in the mobile space and are all about facilitating communication – especially texting. This form of communication resonates with younger audiences. In addition, analysts say that WeChat is a good tool for existing brands who can connect with a ‘strong, closed intimate social circle.’ The company is offering tools that brands can use to build relationships with its followers.
These are just a few of the new competitors in this space. Have you been encouraging your clients to explore advertising on any of these services? If so, have you been happy with the outcome?
Latest posts by Kathy Crosett (see all)
- Are Your SMB Clients Ready for the 2020 Holiday Season — October 19, 2020
- Marketers to Ramp Up Digital Ads in 2021 — October 15, 2020
- Tips to Quickly Establish Credibility with Prospects — October 15, 2020
- Assessments Help Managers Promote from Within — October 14, 2020
- 6 Ways for Inside Sales to Build Instant Credibility with Prospects — October 13, 2020
Scientifically-selected coaching questions for every rep based on their greatest areas of need. Coach Smarter with SalesFuel COACH!LEARN MORE
C. Lee Smith's first book is a great guide for sales managers, as well as recruiters, who need to identify high-performers (and toxic troublemakers) during their hiring process.BUY IT NOW!
Discover High-potentials. Avoid Toxic Troublemakers.
Don't waste time interviewing misfits. Make your next hire your best hire with SalesFuel HIRE!
Get the latest research and insights from SalesFuel on sales management, coaching, hiring and credibility building - delivered free to your inbox every Saturday morning.SIGN UP NOW!