Renters and Home Buyers Going Mobile in New Residence Search

When consumers are out looking for a new home or apartment these days, they’re increasingly using their smartphones as a research tool. realestateagentAdvertisers in the industry should be improving their mobile presence as the real estate sector recovers from the slowdown it experienced during the Great Recession. The Search Agency, which regularly studies the use of paid search advertising, suggests that marketers should pay particular attention to the time of day and day of the week when crafting their ad campaigns.

In 2013, real estate advertising professionals have increased their paid search spending by 12%.  At the same time, the number of impressions delivered has risen 8%, while the number of clicks has jumped 30%. The higher average click-​through rate (CTR), now at  1.2%, may suggest that consumers are more serious about real estate this year than they’ve been in the recent past.

Analysts say impressions delivered across a range of devices as follows:

  • Smartphone 38%
  • Tablet 14%
  • Desktop 48%

In the past year, both tablet and smartphone impressions have grown, while desktop has lost significant market share.

The cost per click (CPC) in this industry is falling with prices averaging $0.58 for desktop, $.036 for tablet, and $0.43 for smartphone.

To increase the audience that sees any specific property or ad, marketers should be rolling out their messages in time for the weekend. Consumers are significantly more active on weekends with respect to real estate searches. About 71% of impressions are delivered on Saturdays and Sundays. The rest, 29%, are served up on weekdays. Interestingly, about 50% of impressions during the week are linked to desktop computers but number falls to 42% on weekends. Perhaps some consumers are investigating housing options during work hours. Time of day is important in this sector as well. Impressions peak between noon and 6:00 p.m. but consumers tend to click through on more links after 6:00 p.m. suggesting they have time in the evening to consider where they might want to live next.

To learn more about new home seekers, check out the AudienceSCAN report available on the Research Store at ad​-ology​.com.

Kathy Crosett
Kathy is the Vice President of Research for SalesFuel. She holds a Masters in Business Administration from the University of Vermont and oversees a staff of researchers, writers and content providers for SalesFuel. Previously, she was co-​owner of several small businesses in the health care services sector.