What should you and your clients know about targeting 8–12 year olds? It turns out this group has money to spend. A report in Marketing Sherpa noted the following favorite categories:
- 82% on video games, music, movies, books, videos/DVDs, virtual worlds, etc.
- 57% on food/beverages.
- 42% on toys (games/dolls/collectibles)
- 40% on clothing/shoes/accessories
Many tweens are savvy media users as evidenced by the rate of visits to favorite sites:
- 82% entertainment/media sites
- 53% TV channel sites
- 46% music sites
- 36% video-sharing sites
- 20% movie sites
- 15% magazine sites
- 15% sports sites
Marketing tactics that work on teens and young adults won’t necessarily be successful with tweens. For example, a strategy that works with tweens is to blend fantasy and reality. And remember to deliver different messages to boys and girls. While email campaigns are successful for many online consumers, there are two reasons not to use this strategy with tweens:
1. This group prefers interactivity
2. The Children’s Online Privacy Protection Act (COPPA) makes the collection and use of personal data on consumers under age 13 expensive and legally tricky for your clients.
Keep these details in mind as you craft campaigns targeting tweens.
Source: Marketing to Tweens: Data, Spending Habits + Dos & Don’ts to Reach This Fickle Age Group, Marketing Sherpa, June 2008 (registration required)