Two-Thirds of U.S. Households Have HDTV Sets, Plan to Purchase More
According to new consumer research from Leichtman Research Group, 69% of households in the United States have at least one high definition television set, up from 17% in 2006. Over the past five years, 52% of U.S. households adopted HDTV.
In addition, 48% of HDTV households have more than one HDTV. Overall, about one-third of all U.S. households now have multiple HDTV sets, up from about one-sixth of all households two years ago, and 4% five years ago. Yet, about 45% of TV sets in HD households, and close to 60% of all TV sets in the U.S., are not HDTVs.
Other findings include:
- 85% with annual household incomes over $75,000 have an HDTV compared to 67% with annual household incomes of $30,000-$75,000, and 48% with annual household incomes under $30,000
- Mean reported spending on an HDTV sets was about $940, 23% less than two years ago, and about half the reported spending five years ago
- Among those getting HD programming from a cable, satellite, or Telco TV provider, the perceived mean number of channels of HD programming is 75, up from 53 two years ago, and 28 five years ago
- Less than 3% of all U.S. households currently have an HDTV set that is 3D-capable, and 45% of this group do not watch any content in 3D
- Nearly 80% of adults in the U.S. have heard of 3D TV; of those, 5% are very interested in getting a 3D TV
- 21% of all households purchased a new TV set in the past 12 months, and 19% of all households plan to purchase a new TV set in the next 12 months
Bruce Leichtman, president and principal analyst for Leichtman Research Group, concludes that “… in just the past five years, over half of all U.S. households have adopted HDTV, bringing the total to nearly 70% of all households having at least one HDTV set… still close to 60% of all TV sets in U.S. households are not HDTVs," which provides ample opportunity for the sale of more HDTV sets going forward.[Source: "HDTV and 3D TV 2011." Leichtman Research Group. 4 Jan. 2012. Web. 20 Jan. 2012.]