The food processing industry has no shortage of new product introductions but only a few find widespread success in the marketplace. Some products represent innovation in the way the food is prepared, cooked, or packaged. Other products are improvements on earlier versions. Prepared Foods recently published its list of the 2008 winners of the Spirit of Innovation awards and a review of the details behind each winner could help your food processing clients position their products for successful expansion in the marketplace.
- DiGiorno Ultimate Focaccia (Kraft)
- Cheesecakes in a Jar (Decadence LLC)
- Probiotic Wellness Bars (Attune Foods)
- Fully Cooked Pot Roasts ( Tyson Foods)
- Steam ‘N Serve Entrées (Carla's Foods)
- Austin Blues Pulled Chicken (Hormel Foods)
Talk with your clients about how these products succeeded, especially with respect to naming, packaging and marketing, and suggest a launch campaign for products they are ready to introduce.[Source: Roberts, William, Jr., Spirit of Innovation Awards, 2008, Prepared Foods, October 2008]