Should marketers be doing more to educate consumers about going green? Would these efforts lead to higher sales? McKinsey consultants say yes. For all of the talk about consumer interest in purchasing green products, the numbers show the following:
- Market share of green laundry products and household cleaners 2%
- Market share of hybrid cars 2%
- Percentage of consumers who have ever purchased green products other than organic food or energy efficient lighting 25%
To change consumer behavior when it comes to buying green, McKinsey consultants recommend addressing each level of the 5 stage purchase process:
- Awareness — Consumers must know these products exist.
- Effectiveness — Do these products have the same high quality as less-green counterparts?
- Reputation — Are these products as green as everyone claims?
- High prices — Will the products be worth the extra money?
- Low availability — Are the products hard to find?
Read the rest of the details in this study (free registration required) and then help your clients turn the current ‘green' interest into higher sales by marketing to each stage of the purchase process.[Source: "Help Green Products Grow," McKinsey Quarterly, October 2008]