The Purpose of Your Sales Call
When you go to make a sale, what’s going through your head? Is it, “The client is going to love this!” or is it more along the lines of, “I need to make this sale.”? Whatever is driving you has quite a bit of influence over how your sales pitch goes. Lisa Earle McLeod’s article, “Do You Have a Purpose? Or Do You Just Sell Stuff?” highlights that salespeople with a “noble sales purpose” are more successful than those who only have money on their minds.
Having a purpose for your sale that goes deeper than money sets you up for success. It means you’re not jumping into your sales pitch blindly. Salespeople who are just after money will set up meetings with any client they can in an attempt to sell a product that a majority of those clients may not even need. Those salespeople waste the time of everyone involved by listing all the benefits of their product or service hoping that something will strike the client’s fancy, which might not ever happen.
If your selling purpose is to benefit your client’s company, you’ll have done some research into your client and will know what his or her goals/needs are. Once you have that information, you’ll know exactly what to offer your client and what to say in your sales pitch. This thorough preparation makes all the difference in success rates.
This success extends beyond your initial sales. Who do you think clients are more likely to set up meetings with: a salesperson who has demonstrated that he knows the company well enough to offer something of worth or one who had previously come in with a product or service that obviously wasn’t a good fit for the client’s company? Having a noble selling purpose will earn you a good reputation among your clients and they’ll be more willing to hear/buy from you again.
So, ask yourself, “Does my selling purpose go beyond making a profit?” If the answer is no, you have some research to do!
Latest posts by Rachel Cagle (see all)
- The Term ASAP Is More Counterproductive Than You Think - August 17, 2018
- Insurance Companies Can Attract New Client by Advertising Discounts to Homeowners Who Make These Improvements - August 17, 2018
- Political Parties Can Increase Membership by Encouraging Politically Disinterested Consumers Register to Vote - August 16, 2018
- Can You Guess Which Holiday Year-End Email Strategy Worked Best Last Year? - August 15, 2018
- Auto Dealers to Tap New Revenue Stream by Offering Subscriptions to Carless Consumers - August 15, 2018