77% of U.S. Consumers Have a Travel Bucket List, But 85% Are Stopped By Cost
Love Home Swap, one of the world’s leading home exchange programs, is releasing results from its Travel Bucket ListSurvey of 1,000 Americans. The survey uncovers U.S. consumers’ travel aspirations and the barriers that stand in their way.
According to Love Home Swap’s Travel Bucket List Survey, 77% of Americans have a travel bucket list, but only 3% have actually visited all the destinations on their list. There are a variety of reasons they cite for not making the trips, but overwhelmingly, the top barrier (85%) is cost.
What are those travel bucket list
destinations on people’s minds? The top five emerging international
hotspots that Americans are interested in visiting include Japan (55%), Finland (34%), Thailand (34%), Portugal (28%) and Argentina
(26%). While these places can be pricey to travel to, home swapping can
be an ideal alternative to help travelers who otherwise might not be
able to cross a dream destination off their bucket list.
Nearly 57% of Foreign Vacationers have used a search engine to research a product they were considering for purchase within the last 30 days, reports AudienceSCAN. The most popular search engine among this audience is Google, which 91.2% of these travelers use. However, 20.6% won’t go past the first page of search results, so SEO is paramount for service providers who want to reach this audience!
Love Home Swap’s Travel Bucket List Survey Results:
- 77% of US consumers have a travel bucket list
- The most desirable countries on people’s travel bucket lists are:
- 55% Japan
- 34% Finland
- 34% Thailand
- 28% Portugal
- 26% Argentina
- 19% Singapore
- 14% Croatia
- 5% Slovenia
- Likeliness of consumers visiting destinations on their bucket lists:
- 3% have already visited all the destinations on their bucket list
- 52% are likely to visit a destination on their bucket list
- 45% are unlikely to visit a destination on their bucket list
- Barriers to checking off destinations on travelers’ bucket lists:
- 21% dream big, but tend not to follow through
- 85% say cost is an issue
- 19% don’t have anyone to travel with and they don’t want to travel alone
- 5% don’t think that hotels provide a comfortable travel experience as they don’t have enough space
- 14% want to experience the destination like a local, but don’t know how to
- 17% have too many places they want to travel to
Foreign Vacationers can be swayed to follow their dreams through digital and traditional advertisements. Last year, according to AudienceSCAN, 55.7% took action after seeing a sponsored search result and 54.4% were inspired by an email they received. They’re also 28% more likely than other adults to take action after seeing an ad on a daily deal website such as Groupon or LivingSocial. Additionally, 65.8% took action after seeing a TV commercial last year.
AudienceSCAN data is available for your applications and dashboards through the SalesFuel API. Media companies and agencies can access AudienceSCAN data through the AudienceSCAN Reports in AdMall.