Manage Smarter 120: Coronavirus, Layoffs and Older Workers
Coronavirus has caused layoffs of more than 26 million Americans from their jobs. Are older workers a liability or competitive advantage and if you are an older worker, how can you increase your value to your employer during this unprecedented time?
Patti Temple Rocks is the author of the book called "I'm Not Done: It's Time to Talk About Ageism in the Workplace." She is also a senior partner at a marketing agency in Chicago.
PLEASE NOTE: Due to remote meeting platform strain caused by more people working from home than ever, there is some audio dropout throughout this recording.
In this episode, Audrey, Lee and Patti discuss:
- Why mature workers are the last ones you should consider cutting
- Conversations to have with older workers in choosing furloughs, layoffs and payroll reductions
- Signs a company doesn’t value older workers
- How late career workers can increase their value amid COVID-19
"The older worker – who may sometimes cost more, comes with incredibly valuable wisdom and experience to navigate and mentor others through difficult times."– Patti Temple Rocks
Connect with Patti Temple Rocks:
- Website: pattitemplerocks.com
- LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/pattitemplerocks/
- Twitter: https://twitter.com/pattitrocks
Connect with the hosts of Manage Smarter:
Connect with SalesFuel:
- Website: http://salesfuel.com
- Twitter: @SalesFuel
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/salesfuel/
Join hosts Audrey Strong and C. Lee Smith every week as they dive into the aspects and concepts of good business management. From debunking sales myths to learning how to manage with and without measurements, you'll learn something new with every episode and will be able to implement positive change far beyond sales.
New episodes posted every Sunday morning at ManageSmarter.com, C‑Suite Radio, iHeartRadio and your favorite source for podcasts