Doug Ulman is the President & Chief Executive Officer of Pelotonia, a growing non-profit. Pelotonia began in 2008 as a bike ride in Columbus, Ohio to raise funds for innovative cancer research at the Ohio State University Comprehensive Cancer Center. In nine short years, the Ride has raised more than $157 million and grown into a grassroots social movement. The Pelotonia ride is a two-day experience that includes a weekend of cycling, entertainment and volunteerism, propelled by a small army of volunteers and staff.
Doug is a three-time cancer survivor and globally recognized cancer advocate. After overcoming chondrosarcoma during his sophomore year of college and malignant melanoma twice since, Doug and his family founded the Ulman Cancer Fund for Young Adults to ensure that all young adults impacted by cancer have a voice and the necessary resources to thrive.
With funding from an Echoing Green Fellowship, Doug served as Executive Director of the organization for four years before joining the LIVESTRONG Foundation in 2001, as Director of Survivorship. He went on to lead LIVESTRONG as President and Chief Executive Officer, establishing the organization as the global leader in cancer survivorship.
In this episode, Audrey, Lee and Doug discuss:
- Managing and Motivating Volunteers
- Non-Profit Challenges and Opportunities
- Obligations to your internal team
- Addressing failure with your team and your contributors
- Empower volunteers to impact what they are doing
- Empowerment and encouragement are key to productivity
- Make sure volunteers feel fulfilled in the work they are doing
- If there is a problem, address it head on and take responsibility for problems that occur
"Plan every last detail so that their expectations have been set and they have a great experience working." — Doug Ulman
Join hosts Audrey Strong and C. Lee Smith every week as they dive into the aspects and concepts of good business management. From debunking sales myths to learning how to manage with and without measurements, you'll learn something new with every episode and will be able to implement positive change far beyond sales.
Connect with Doug Ulman:
- Twitter: @dougulman
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/dougulman
- Instagram: @dougulman
- Website: www.pelotonia.org
- Email: email@example.com
- Book: Work on Purpose
- LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin
Connect with the hosts of Manage Smarter:
Connect with SalesFuel:
- Website: http://salesfuel.com/
- Twitter: @SalesFuel
- Facebook: https://www.facebook
Audio production by Turnkey Podcast Productions. You're the expert. Your podcast will prove it.
Copyright 2018 SalesFuel, Inc. – All Rights Reserved. This podcast may not be redistributed in whole or in part without the written permission of SalesFuel, Inc.