Dr. Christine Porath is an Associate Professor and Researcher at the McDonough School of Business at Georgetown University and an expert in workplace incivility, its costs and remedies. She is author of Mastering Civility: A Manifesto for the Workplace and co-author of The Cost of Bad Behavior.
Her two decades of research shows 98% of professionals have experienced uncivil behavior and 99% have witnessed it resulting in productivity and personal problems. In 2011, half said they were treated badly at least once a week—up from a quarter in 1998 so the problem is growing. Her research and knowledge is regularly published in the Harvard Business Review, Psychology Today and The New York Times, Wall Street Journal and Washington Post.
In this episode, Audrey, Lee and Christine discuss:
- What is civility?
- The workplace and personal impacts of being civil and uncivil with others
- The correlation of technology and incivility
- How managers can improve the level of civility among their teams
- Ask yourself how consistent you are in everyday things
- Ask others what you can do to improve yourself in the workplace
- Being rude does not help you get higher up in your company
- Be mindful of how you're treating others
"Those that are perceived as civil are much more likely to be seen as leaders."- Christine Porath
Join hosts Audrey Strong and C. Lee Smith every week as they dive into the aspects and concepts of good business management. From debunking sales myths to learning how to manage with and without measurements, you'll learn something new with every episode and will be able to implement positive change far beyond sales.
Connect with Christine Porath:
- Twitter: @porathc
- Website: http://www.christineporath.com/
- Email: CP423@GEORGETOWN.EDU
- LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/christine-porath-4b660a11/
Connect with the hosts of Manage Smarter:
Connect with SalesFuel:
- Website: http://salesfuel.com/
- Twitter: @SalesFuel
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/salesfuel/
Show Notes by Podcastologist: Jessie Taylor
Audio production by Turnkey Podcast Productions.You're the expert. Your podcast will prove it.
Copyright 2018 SalesFuel, Inc. – All Rights Reserved. This podcast may not be redistributed in whole or in part without the written permission of SalesFuel, Inc.