Email marketing is effective (Validity says that email marketing helps 42% of businesses either slightly or significantly increase their revenue), but it does have its challenges. The biggest challenges companies have faced this year include attention in the inbox (45%) and email deliverability (37%).
Companies use multiple tactics to increase open rates, including:
- Personalization: 77% of companies that use this tactic have an average open rate of 16% or higher
- Deliverability optimization: 69%
- A/B testing (comparing two versions of the same email): 65%
- Email list management: 64%
- Subject line optimization: 57%
Now, subject line optimization is different for each company, but the most effective subject lines can be discovered similarly, no matter what industry your client is in. Validity recommends studying the results of previous email campaigns and researching the top performing subject lines for your client’s specific industry. 40% of companies that reviewed the performance of past campaigns had email open rates of 16% or more.
Companies use four methods to optimize email deliverability:
- Adding new addresses organically: 76% of companies that use this tactic have an average open rate of 16% or higher
- Use of technology to remove invalid addresses: 32%
- Validation of addresses with software and technology: 32%
- Purchasing email addresses: 5%
Which types of email marketing messages do your clients generally use? AudienceSCAN on AdMall by SalesFuel has five different email-based audience profiles, complete with marketing, purchase intent and demographic information. With this knowledge, you can approach your client with a fully thought-out campaign pitch backed by industry data. Well-rounded, data-driven pitches have a higher chance of winning your client’s enthusiasm, as well as their marketing dollars.