Custom Content to Continue Shift to Digital

Custom content is all about how marketers use their unique information to influence customer opinions and actions. This strategy is proving to be hugely successful with potential customers. And, new research shows the field of custom content production is poised to grow.

According to the Custom Content Council, businesses spend huge sums creating custom material.  Until recently, content released in the printed form – think newsletters – has dominated marketer efforts. About $23.6 billion was spent on print content last year while $16.6 billion was directed to producing content in electronic forms, including video. These numbers add up to a staggering $40.2 billion for the industry.

Marketers are using the following channels for their custom content:

  • Print 87%
  • Websites 82%
  • Video 52%
  • Email 71%

The Characteristics Study: A Look at the Volume and Type of Content Marketing in America for 2012 finds that most marketers target external audiences (73%) with their custom content while the rest, 27%, is directed to internal audiences. On average, a business manages 1.4 unique titles of custom content with an average circulation or readership of 47,500. For print publications, releases take place about 6.5 times a year. Over 37% of these publications include advertising though 17% comes from in-​house ads. Not surprisingly, websites are easier places for marketers to make their custom content mark. As a result, they update these sites about 145 times a year.

Overall, businesses spend 26% of the marketing, advertising, and communications budgets on custom content. In summarizing these findings, Lori Rosen, Executive Director, Custom Content Council, says that commitment to custom content remains firm. Rosen adds, “Funds that were previously earmarked for print are being shifted to video and web content, though print remains a dominant part of the overall spend.”

[Source: Custom Content Spend at $40.2 Billion. Custom Content Council. March 2012. Web. 2 Apr. 2012] 
Kathy Crosett
Kathy is the Vice President of Research for SalesFuel. She holds a Masters in Business Administration from the University of Vermont and oversees a staff of researchers, writers and content providers for SalesFuel. Previously, she was co-​owner of several small businesses in the health care services sector.