Retailers to Promote College Dorm Must-Haves
"It's hard to believe, but your munchkin is all grown up and heading off to college in a few short weeks. That means there's lots of packing to do. If your child's list is long, she's not alone: Consumers planned to spend an eye-popping $55 billion on back-to-college gear in 2018, according to market research firm Mintel."
So what should make it on the packing list? Here are seven essentials that your student is sure to appreciate, all of them recommended models from Consumer Reports' tests:
- Sheets: Check with their school to see what size sheets they need; most dorm beds are five inches longer than the standard twin, so only twin XL sheets will fit. Cotton sheets remain popular
- Humidifier: There's nothing sadder than a sniffly, stuffy child on the other end of the phone. Dorm rooms can get hot and dry in the winter, and a small cool-mist humidifier can help keep humidity levels to the ideal 30 to 50%. It keeps the air moist, alleviating dry throats and skin, as well as any cold or flu symptoms
- Noise Canceling Headphones: Combine a small dorm room and a roommate with a wireless speaker blaring, and you can see where noise-canceling headphones come in handy. Your student can use them in the library when they're studying, too
- Portable Bluetooth Speaker: For when your child has friends over for a little party or to watch a movie, a speaker with good sound is key. They'll want one that is compact enough to keep on their desk
- Handheld Vacuum: You dream of your child having a clean, sparkling dorm room? You can do better than hope. Give them a hand vac, and crumbs and other rodent-attracting debris will be gone in no time
- Coffee Maker: If your child's dorm allows coffee makers, or if your child lives off-campus, being able to brew their own joe anytime day or night is a real perk
- Microwave: For that late-night frozen burrito snack, your child needs a microwave. If their dorm allows it, or if they drew the stick for getting a microwave to share with suite-mates, you want a machine that can handle plenty of use
While College Tuition Buyers are online looking up school-related information for their college students, they can also be targeted with advertisements for supplies their children will need. According to AudienceSCAN, last year, these consumers took action after receiving email ads, seeing sponsored search results, finding ads on daily deals sites such as Groupon and seeing internet banner ads.
AudienceSCAN data is available for your applications and dashboards through the SalesFuel API. In addition, AdMall contains industry profiles on department stores and electronics and accessories stores, as well as lead lists at the local level. Media companies, sales reps and agencies can access this data with a subscription to AdMall from SalesFuel.